Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Many Names of God, Part I




"He has paid a full ransom for His people. He has guaranteed His covenant with them forever. What a holy awe-inspiring name He has! -Psalm 111:9

God has many names that reflect the many facets of His character. Each name reveals a part of His holy nature and His love for His creation.  
We can call out to God using His many names, and grow as we learn more about His character.

Here are a few to start.

Alpha- Alpha is the first letter of the greek alphabet. It means "the first one, the beginning." 

“I am the Alpha and the Omega—the beginning and the end,” says the Lord God. “I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come—the Almighty One.” Revelation 1:8

We can always trust God who was there from the beginning of time, the first one. 

Shield- God is our shield. He holds Himself in front of us.

“God’s way is perfect. All the Lord’s promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection." 2 Samuel 22:31

"You have given me your shield of victory; your help has made me great." 2 Samuel 22:36

Purifier- The blood of Christ shed for us was to purify us from our sins. God purifies our minds, hearts, bodies and souls.

"Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." Psalm 51:7

“Then I will purify the speech of all people, so that everyone can worship the Lord together." Zephaniah 3:9

"Just think how much more the blood of Christ will purify our consciences from sinful deeds so that we can worship the living God. For by the power of the eternal Spirit, Christ offered himself to God as a perfect sacrifice for our sins." Hebrews 9:14

Rose of Sharon-   "I am the rose of Sharon, And the lily of the valleys." Song of Solomon 2:1


Our God is our Alpha, our Shield, our Purifier and our Rose. He is our beginning, our protection. He will purify us and He is as a rose among thorns to us, His chosen ones.


"For the Lord Most High is awesome; He is a great King over all the earth." Psalm 47:2

Prayer: Lord, help to me to know your character more and more every day. Reveal the facets of yourself to me and show me that you provide ALL I need. Amen.




May God's peace and wisdom be with you as you build your own wall of God's truth.





 




No comments:

Post a Comment